Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Mountains Bow Down



In a long string of disappointments and average books, this one stood out as something unique: a book I thoroughly enjoyed.

One day, after graduating Mountain School, they will join together to create a new pack that will continue their guardian work. Life for Calla is definite and predetermined.

Until one day, when she, on impulse, saves a hiker, Shay, in the mountains who turns out to be much more than meets the eye– although what does meet the eye right out isn’t disappointing: Shay is as handsome as Ren and a whole lot sweeter. With the addition of him into her life, everything changes. Suddenly, Calla has to question the things she always thought were right and try to figure out how to exactly to do what is.

One thing I really did like about this book was the emotions it invoked. The Keepers could be pretty nasty, and I was angry that Calla had to stand by and take some of the stuff she did. Also, the sexists views they kept up made me angry, and I liked the that fact that they did irritate Calla too.

The only other complaint I have about this book would be that Calla has a certain set of rules she has to follow but then she starts breaking them and there seems to be no punishment. Which I thought was strange because at times her rule-breaking seemed public, like somebody would notice and report it but that never happened. My only thoughts on this are perhaps they are saving all the punishment for later.

I lied. I thought of one more complaint: There’s a part in the book where Calla and Shay are up to something and Calla gets hurt so to try and save her they have to do something forbidden and they do it and it seemed to me like it would be something really monumental but it sort of happens. I know that was really vague, but if you read the book you’ll understand. Hopefully.

In all, I definitely recommend this book. It was one of the best paranormal romances I’ve read. It was fresh and fun and has one heck of an ending. I honestly don’t know if I will make it until the sequel. Because I want to read it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment